17 August 2007

“You don’t have enough clothes,” a relative told me a few days ago, (her actual words were, “Wain? Ma inshoofich talbiseen?” when I told her that I didn’t want to go shopping even though the stores I frequent have “sales” because I have way too many clothes).


But I do. My closet, although not as packed as her closet*, is pretty full of clothes. Casual clothes, a decent outfits, grungy stuff …. I mean I’m covered! (quite literally).

Why is that so hard to understand?!


I have no idea why, but her words really got to me. Although my closet is bursting at the hinges (?!), her words replayed in my head today as I sat there staring at my closet. I really felt like I didn’t have anything “good enough” to wear to a family get-together.

I’ve come to terms with the fact that I’m never going to be one of those people who always have something new on and never repeat their outfits. It’s just not my nature: 1) I don’t always enjoy shopping 2) I’m extremely selective when I do shop (which makes shopping less enjoyable) 3) I hate clutter and always end up donating clothes I don’t wear “all the time”.

Anyway, I felt really bad because I wore something I was planning to give-away just to prove to her that I do have "more than enough" clothes (how lame is that?! And what does that really mean--ugh! I'm such a push-over!).

I guess "they misunderestimated me,"** because I'm still giving that skirt away and I still refuse to go shopping for more clothes.


This whole ‘episode’ reminded me of something I’d come across awhile back…a Seattle artist who makes a brown dress and wears it for a whole year. (I’d love to do that just for my mother’s reaction…priceless!) She called her project "little brown dress"

Check out a short interview with her here.



Today’s lesson: "I'm rubber and you're glue, and anything you say bounces off me and sticks to you." (I'm more of a rubber wannabe at this point...)


*a big reason for this difference is due to the different schools of thought we belong. I will buy a few expensive things that last me several years; she buys lots of cheaper clothes/shoes and changes them frequently.

** Another inspirational quote by George W. Bush. (I'm gonna miss him when he leaves *sigh*)

No comments: